Exploring Python for next desktop GUI Project

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Thu Jul 24 17:17:45 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-24, Zachary Ware <zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick
><kwpolska at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tk is neither sane
>
> How so?  Like any other facet of programming, using Tk(inter) has it's
> frustrations, but for the most part it has always worked as expected
> for me.  Granted, I haven't done anything terribly fancy.
>
>> nor native-feeling, especially on Linux, where it looks
>> like something from two decades ago.
>
> The problem there is that on Linux, "native" could mean "GTK", "QT",
> or something else entirely.  Also, just to make sure, you are talking
> about "ttk" rather than plain "tk", right?
>
>> On other platforms, it also is not 100%
>> native.
>
> On Windows, at least, ttk comes very very close to it.

One of the Tk apps I maintain gets distributed to Windows users as
well as Linux users.  On my Win7 machine, it looks/acts like a native
(at least as much as a Linux user can tell).  None of the hardcore
windows guys who use it have ever mentioned that it looks or acts
oddly.

On Linux, it looks like crap and acts a little goofy -- sort of
vaguely old-school-Motif with non-standard keybindings.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! BARRY ... That was
                                  at               the most HEART-WARMING