Exploring Python for next desktop GUI Project

Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 15:02:22 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 8:33 PM, Zachary Ware
<zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:04 PM, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick
> <kwpolska at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tk is neither sane
>
> How so?  Like any other facet of programming, using Tk(inter) has it's
> frustrations, but for the most part it has always worked as expected
> for me.  Granted, I haven't done anything terribly fancy.

Pretty much everyone in the world hates Tcl and Tk.  Ask your favorite
search engine for some results.

i’ve tried to write a Tkinter thing once.  I don’t have a copy anymore
(consciously deleted), but I vaguely remember some issues with widgets
that do not work.  I also remember that the list of widgets is quite
small and not enough for many projects.

>> nor native-feeling, especially on Linux, where it looks
>> like something from two decades ago.
>
> The problem there is that on Linux, "native" could mean "GTK", "QT",
> or something else entirely.

The best way to handle this is just choose one of the two (wxwidgets
chose GTK 2, for example) and be considered native enough by most, as
people don’t really mind mixing them (as there are no good Qt web
browsers, and VLC uses Qt and not GTK)

> Also, just to make sure, you are talking about "ttk" rather than plain "tk", right?

ttk on Linux doesn’t change a thing.  It still uses the ugly, ancient,
motif-esque style:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tk+linux&tbm=isch

(also, off by 10 years, motif is actually from the 1980s.)

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 8:51 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 4:33 AM, Zachary Ware
> <zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On other platforms, it also is not 100%
>>> native.
>>
>> On Windows, at least, ttk comes very very close to it.
>
> What exactly does that mean? The Windows default UI changed
> significantly from W2K -> XP -> Win8, and each time, it's possible to
> revert to the old styling; does ttk follow the rest of the OS in that?

There is one more catch, custom themes can be installed after you
patch some files (which can be done in 5 minutes by anyone with
sufficient googling and reading comprehension skills).

AFAIK, Qt follows the system style properly, and it looks quite native
on every Windows OS.  No idea about ttk though.

--
Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick <http://chriswarrick.com/>
PGP: 5EAAEA16