Exploring Python for next desktop GUI Project

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 14:17:06 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2014-07-24, Zachary Ware <zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Python standard library includes the tkinter package, which is an
>> interface to Tcl/Tk.
>
> That's not always true for Linux systems.  AFAIK, all Linux installs
> include Python (of some version or other), but they don't always
> include tcl/tk and tkinter. It's usually easy enough to add them, but
> but they're not really part of the "standard library" if they have to
> be separately intsalled.

There are several parts of the standard library that have external
dependencies (bz2, lzma, sqlite3, ssl, and tkinter, just off the top
of my head), which distributors may not decide to include.  That
doesn't mean they're not part of the standard library, but they are
optional parts.  Anyway, it may still be easier to declare a
dependency on tkinter than to distribute another toolkit with your
app, it depends entirely on the specific circumstances.

--
Zach