Exploring Python for next desktop GUI Project

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 14:15:37 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 4:04 AM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24/07/2014 17:18, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> The first one is certainly possible. Pick any of the well-known
>> toolkits (Tkinter, wxwidgets, GTK, etc), and see how it feels. All of
>> them are portable across the three platforms you name, so see which
>> one is most comfortable for you to code in and produces the best
>> results.
>

> s/wxwidgets/wxpython/ unless you fancy wrapping it yourself :)

Yeah that. And pygtk rather than GTK. Or I could have gone the other
way and said Tk instead of Tkinter. One way or another, I ought to
have been more consistent. Anyway. Pick a good toolkit, get to know
it, and use it. Personally, I like GTK, but that's partly because its
bindings come with Pike, and I did GUI work with Pike before I did
with Python; the same advantage, for someone starting with Python,
goes to Tk. But the main thing is, it's easy to be cross-platform -
take whatever feels good to you.

ChrisA