Exploring Python for next desktop GUI Project

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pylist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 12:22:50 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Noble Bell <noblebell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am exploring the idea of creating my next desktop GUI project in Python and would like a little advice from you folks about a couple of requirements.
>
> My requirements will be:
> 1. Needs to be portable across platforms with native LAF (Windows,Linux,OSX)

The Python standard library includes the tkinter package, which is an
interface to Tcl/Tk.  The 'ttk' module provides themed/themable
widgets that have the platform-native look by default.  I've
successfully used tkinter for a few projects, and have kept most of my
sanity :).  One of the biggest benefits to tkinter is that, since it
is included with Python, so you don't have to distribute a separate
GUI toolkit.

> 2. Python 2 or 3? Which will serve me better in the future?

Python 3 is the future of Python, but Python 2(.7) is still alive and
kicking.  I would suggest sticking to Python 3 if at all possible, but
revert back to 2.7 (no farther! :) if you have dependencies that you
can't escape that rely on Python 2.  If you're just learning Python,
learn with Python 3 before you start with Python 2, even if you'll
wind up using Python 2.  Python 3 is easier to learn in the first
place, and it's easier to learn the transition from 3->2 than 2->3.

Hope this helps,
--
Zach