Question about Pass-by-object-reference?

emile emile at fenx.com
Tue Jul 22 18:33:10 EDT 2014

On 07/22/2014 03:17 PM, fl wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 4:46:25 PM UTC-4, emile wrote:
>> On 07/22/2014 01:35 PM, Peter Pearson wrote:
>> def reassign(mylist):  # no reason to shadow the list builtin
>>       mylist[:] = [0,1]
>> mylist = [1]
>> reassign(mylist)
>> mylist
>> Emile
>
> Thanks for your example. I do not find the explanation of [:] on line.

It's covered in the tutorial in

https://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/introduction.html

look for the section on slice notation

> Could you explain it to me, or where can I find it on line?

If you haven't already, you should work your way through the full
tutorial if for no other reason that to be familiar with content others
find beginners should be introduced to.

https://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/index.html

Emile