Removing xml element and strip extra space

Tim jtim.arnold at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 09:00:40 EDT 2014

On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 8:53:35 AM UTC-4, varun bhatnagar wrote:
> Hi,
> Thank you so much for the suggestion.
> I tried using the rstrip() function but that did not work. Still getting a blank space between <nodePeriod> and </nodeInfo> as mentioned in the above output xml file:
> <nodePeriod nodeTime="600000000"/>
>  </nodeInfo>
> Is there any other way through which this can be achieved? Can't this be handled by xslt itself in some way?
>
> Thanks,
>
> BR,
> Varun
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Monte Milanuk <memi... at invalid.com> wrote:
> On 2014-07-22, varun bhatnagar <varun... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I want to strip the space between *<nodePeriod>* and *</nodeInfo>*
> > Can anyone suggest a way out to do that?
> Look at str.rstrip() - by default it removes trailing whitespace
> including carriage returns.
> --

Hi Varun,
The whitespace is part of your original xml; the xslt is only preserving that whitespace. Do you have any control over the construction of that original xml?

It looks like it has been tidied and whitespace perhaps added. I think you will get what you want if the original has the newlines removed:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<testNode>
<nodeInfo>
<nodePeriod nodeTime="600000000"/><nodeBase base="0" /></nodeInfo>
</testNode>

does that get you what you're looking for? Is the whitespace actually necessary in the original or problematic in the result?

--Tim Arnold