Removing xml element and strip extra space

varun bhatnagar varun292006 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 07:38:26 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am trying to play around with python and xslt. I have an xml and I want
to transform it to another xml by deleting its one element. The xml is
pasted below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<testNode>
<nodeInfo>
      <nodePeriod nodeTime="600000000"/>
      <nodeBase base="0" />
    </nodeInfo>
</testNode>

I want to remove the <nodeBase> tag and this is how my xsl file looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>

  <xsl:template match="@*|node()">
    <xsl:copy>
    </xsl:copy>
  </xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="/testNode/nodeInfo/nodeBase">
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

When I execute it my output looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<testNode>
<nodeInfo>
*      <nodePeriod nodeTime="600000000"/>*

*    </nodeInfo>*
</testNode>

I want to strip the space between *<nodePeriod>* and *</nodeInfo>*
Can anyone suggest a way out to do that?

Thanks,
BR,
Varun