Idle's Shell: prompts and indents (was ...) Idle users please read

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jul 20 23:49:37 EDT 2014

On 7/20/2014 9:22 PM, Rick Johnson wrote:
> On Sunday, July 20, 2014 4:52:36 PM UTC-5, Terry Reedy wrote:

> The *real* problem is that the "interactive events" of the
> "editor window" and the "interactive events" of the "shell
> window" are far too tightly integrated with one another.
>
> I myself appreciate the finger saving principles of "DRY",
> however, sometimes, two distinct functionalities just
> cannot be implemented *IN A CLEAR MANNER* without repeating
> *some* of the code.
>
> We need to understand that IDLE is split into two distinct
> "modes", if you will -- the "interactive shell" and the
> "editor window". Attempting to use the same code to handle
> keystrokes for the shell *AND* the editor is a stumbling
> block to extending this mess.

Slightly simplifying, the shell window and output windows are subclasses
of the current editor window. I have thought about making all three
inherit from a base interactive window. This would be a bit cleaner than
the current design. I am not convinced of the need for more drastic change.

>> Ideas don't count until recorded on the tracker.

Which, as I reported back here, is why I promptly included both your
OutputUndo idea and suggestion for a separate event and shortcut key in
a new issue on the tracker.

http://bugs.python.org/issue17535

> And besides, if my comments here "don't count"

The ideas that I think are worth preserving and that I think are
appropriate for the tracker I will put on the tracker. You can comment
directly on the tracker yourself, but you would have to moderate your style.

--
Terry Jan Reedy