Idle's Shell: prompts and indents (was ...) Idle users please read

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 23:34:01 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> A few users have noticed (and complained) that setting sys.ps1 and sys.ps2
> *in the batch mode user process* has no effect. The Idle doc should better
> explain why this is and should be.  User code should not affect the
> operation of Idle. Idle is separately configured through dialogs.

As I understand it, setting them has *absolutely* no effect,
currently, right? There's no situation in which it would be useful to
set them? In that case, it might be useful to put some magic in there
(although I'm not sure it's possible; can't use @property at top level
in a module) that gives a notification - pointing users to the dialog.
No idea how you'd go about it, but telling someone when what s/he does
is useless can be helpful.

ChrisA