PyWart(2.7.8) IDLE is more buggy than "Joe's apartment"!

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 22:38:44 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
>  STEPS TO REPRODUCE BUG 1: "Attack of the clones!"
>
> 1. Open the IDLE application
> 2. Maximize the window that appears
> 3. Go to the "File Menu" and choose the "Open" command
>
> Now repeat step 3 at least one more time, but feel free to
> keep opening new dialogs until your fingers bleed and/or
> eyes pop out.
>
> Okay, now tell us, in what manner can an "interface bug"
> like this be "beneficial"?

You call it a bug because you can't think of any way it could be
beneficial. That's the wrong way of looking at it. Something isn't a
bug because you find it annoying; it's a bug because it fails to
implement the programmer's intentions and/or the docs/specification.

Opening multiple dialogs is *often* useful. The extras don't conflict,
and you can open multiple files, so why should it be prevented?

>  STEPS TO REPRODUCE BUG 2: "Hide and go seek!"
>
> 1. Open the IDLE application
> 2. Maximize the window that appears
> 3. Go to the "File Menu" and choose the "Open" command
> 4. Without disturbing the dialog, minimize the main window
> 5. Using the taskbar icon, maximize the window
>
> Where is the dialog? How will you retrieve it *WITHOUT*
> reducing the size of the window? And even if you are smart
> enough to "intuit" what happened to the dialog, and how to
> retrieve it, how will a noobie "intuit" such a disappearing
> act? And how in the hell can this be beneficial?

I'm not sure what platform you're on, and this depends a lot on your
window manager. I'm guessing you may be on Windows, as Linux people
are more likely to be aware of what DE/WM they use, so I tried it out
on Windows. The file dialog appears in the alt-tab list, which seems
perfectly sane and sensible, and in fact alt-tab is the most logical
way to move between maximized windows anyway.

This is not an Idle bug at all. It's a window manager issue.

ChrisA