Tabbed IDLE (was PyWart(2.7.8) IDLE is more buggy than "Joe's apartment"!)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 21:04:40 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 10:56 AM, Tim Chase
<python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
> On 2014-07-20 23:40, Irmen de Jong wrote:
>> > And since IDLE is not a "tabbed editor", only *1* document
>> > is going to be displayed at a time.
>>
>> False. Idle opens any number of documents at the same time just
>> fine (in different windows - rather than tabs).
>
> This sounds like a failing of the OP's window-manager.  Fluxbox lets
> me combine any number of windows into a tabbed interface, so IDLE
> *is* a tabbed editor on my machine (just like the Gimp).

I would draw a distinction there. With Fluxbox you may be able to
build a tabbed interface out of a non-tabbed one, but that doesn't
mean the program is tabbed. That's like saying that, with any of a
large number of Linux desktop managers and window managers, I can have
multiple virtual desktops, which means that I have infinite space on
my display. No, I don't; I have an extra layer in there that provides
that, but my display is still what it is.

ChrisA