Python and IDEs [was Re: Python 3 is killing Python]

TP wingusr at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 22:03:01 EDT 2014

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 12:28 AM, Steven D'Aprano <
steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> For Python users, the IDEs from
> Wingware and Activestate are notable:
>
>     https://wingware.com/
>     http://komodoide.com/

I would say that since PyCharm (https://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/) now has
a free Community Edition it is an even more notable IDE as the above two
programs cost $.

And as a Windows user, for version control I really like TortoiseHg (
http://tortoisehg.bitbucket.org/) for Mercurial. Likewise I tend to use
TortoiseSVN and TortoiseGit rather than the command line. PyCharm even has
support for those but I still like right-clicking on folders in Windows
Explorer and activating various hg commands from the popup menu. Especially
since not every program I write is written in Python :)