Python 3 is killing Python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jul 19 19:23:43 EDT 2014

On 7/19/2014 6:50 PM, Rick Johnson wrote:

> [A missed point from my last reply...]
>
> Terry Reedy said:
>> I believe there is a proposal to be able to clear the
>> shell window. We just need to add "Clear and restart
>> shell".

>      # In order to prevent confusion with the typical "edit-    #
>      # undo" of "CONTROL+Z", we should refer to the action of   #
>      # "remove the last output displayed" as an "output-undo".  #

That would make implementation easier.

> I think IDLE needs all three functionality of:
>
>    1. Reset symbol tables *WHILST* retaining previous "shell
>    IO" (Already exists via "Shell->Restart Shell")
>
>    2. Reset symbol tables *AND* clear all "shell IO" (Maybe:
>    "Shell->Reset Shell")
>
>    3. Remove the displayed result of the *LAST* command
>    processed. (Maybe: "Shell->Remove Last Output")
>
> Hotkeys for all three are a must

I consider them a nicety. We will eventually run out of simple hot keys.

> and should be configurable by the user.

I believe anything Idle controls is.

>> There is also an idea to put help output in an
>> output window.

In the new issue, I said 'move the last output' from the shell to a
window, so it would be entirely optional.

> I believe more windows just creates more confusion for the
> user.

I expect to eventually look at G.Polo's patch for using tabbed
notebooks, which will help with this.

--
Terry Jan Reedy