Python 3 is killing Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 19:10:49 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 4:00 AM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> However, a *bare* HOME_KEY press is placing the insertion
>>> cursor *BEHIND* the prompt of the current line. In a shell
>>> environment, you never want to be *BEHIND* the command
>>> prompt.
>>
>> I don't know about the old versions, but in 3.4, it seems to be set so
>> the Home key toggles between the beginning of the code and the
>> beginning of the line. Seems a useful feature, although I can
>> understand if you'd want to disable it and set the Home key to only
>> ever go to the beginning of code. But that's a configuration question;
>> this does not appear to be a bug.
>
> I'd say that moving the cursor to a position where you can't type is a
> bug. In that case, "beginning of the line" should be understood to be
> after the prompt.

You can copy and paste from there. It's functionally equivalent to
being able to press Up arrow and move above the currently-editable
line. But even if it weren't for that, my statement would still be
correct: It's not a bug, and therefore not embarrassment, because it's
a feature that you may or may not like.

ChrisA