I am stuck on OOP

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 12:48:35 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 2:36 AM, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick
<kwpolska at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Sibylle Koczian <nulla.epistola at web.de> wrote:
>> Am 18.07.2014 20:45, schrieb Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick:
>>
>>> Yes, exceptions do exist. But most video tutorials are produced by
>>> people without enough knowledge, and people that should not be working
>>> on educational material. This is especially visible in videos about
>>> basic things: they can be produced by just about anyone with a
>>> microphone — which never leads to anything good. (In order to be more
>>> precise, I'd have to be politically incorrect.)
>>>

>> Moreover people knowing enough about the subject and being able to explain
>> it really well won't necessarily speak clearly. And spoken English is so far
>> away from the written version anyway that it's simply a pain for everybody
>> with another first language.
>
> Depends on the person.  I’m perfectly fine with spoken English (as
> long at it isn’t produced by Asians and other badly-speaking people),
> and it’s not my mother tongue.

My main issue with spoken (as opposed to written) English is that it
becomes so fundamentally linear. You can't skim a podcast and then
read in detail the parts you want; it's fiddly to go back and reread
something; and it's extremely fiddly to go back and re*write*
something, so a lot of errors slip through. (Imagine if you had to
type python-list posts without any cursor movement or backspace
functionality, but you could go back and retype any one paragraph from
scratch. I posit you would leave the odd typo in there, because it's
just not worth the effort of fixing it.) Of course, its linearity is a
feature for a lot of people, who tend to skim things poorly and not
properly learn, but when they're forced to concentrate on what's being
fed to them right this second and not worry about the rest, they can
comprehend it better; but if you can properly grok a wall of text,
that's usually going to be more efficient.

ChrisA