Python 3 is killing Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 12:41:27 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 2:29 AM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On versions 2.7.2 and 3.2.2 CONTROL+LEFT_ARROW is landing
> *properly* in front of the prompt, so apparently that bug was
> fixed since last i checked, my apologies for being ignorant
> of the situation, but you should understand that i had given
> up after years of no improvements.

Standard rule: Before complaining about something, upgrade to the
latest version - at least the latest bugfix version of that branch.
That would be 2.7.8 and either 3.2.5 or 3.4.1. Complaining about a bug
in an old release is quite pointless if that bug has already been
fixed.

> However, a *bare* HOME_KEY press is placing the insertion
> cursor *BEHIND* the prompt of the current line. In a shell
> environment, you never want to be *BEHIND* the command
> prompt.

I don't know about the old versions, but in 3.4, it seems to be set so
the Home key toggles between the beginning of the code and the
beginning of the line. Seems a useful feature, although I can
understand if you'd want to disable it and set the Home key to only
ever go to the beginning of code. But that's a configuration question;
this does not appear to be a bug.

> But my point is: We *MUST* remove this *excessive*
> indentation width from the IDLE shell!

Why *must*? Is it really that big a problem?

>     THERE MUST BE A BETTER SOLUTION!
>
> And this bug is making the whole Python community look like
> a bunch of amateurs!

Frankly, I doubt it. It's pretty obscure. Yes, all bugs should be
fixed where possible, but something of the nature you're describing
does NOT make Python look bad. (Side point: There's nothing bad about
being an amateur. I don't know why so many people think it's an
insulting term.)

ChrisA