Creating Windows Start Menu or Desktop shortcuts using setuptools bdist_winst installer

Yaşar Arabacı yasar11732 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 10:23:10 EDT 2014

This is a cross-post from stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/q/24841130/886669

I am not sure about cross-posting policies of python-list. I am sorry
if this is discouraged.

Here is my problem;

I want to create a start menu or Desktop shortcut for my Python
windows installer package. I am trying to follow
https://docs.python.org/3.4/distutils/builtdist.html#the-postinstallation-script

Here is my script;

import sys

from os.path import dirname, join, expanduser

pyw_executable = sys.executable.replace('python.exe','pythonw.exe')
script_file = join(dirname(pyw_executable), 'Scripts', 'tklsystem-script.py')
w_dir = expanduser(join('~','lsf_files'))

print(sys.argv)

if sys.argv[1] == '-install':
    print('Creating Shortcut')
    create_shortcut(
        target=pyw_executable,
        description='A program to work with L-System Equations',
        filename='L-System Tool',
        arguments=script_file,
        workdir=wdir
    )

I also specified this script in scripts setup option, as indicated by
aforementioned docs.

Here is the command I use to create my installer;

python setup.py bdist_wininst --install-script tklsystem-post-install.py

After I install my package using created windows installer, I can't
find where my shorcut is created, nor I can confirm whether my script
run or not.

How can I make setuptools generated windows installer to create
desktop or start menu shortcuts?

--
http://ysar.net/