Python 3 is killing Python

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 17:37:23 EDT 2014

On Friday, July 18, 2014 1:20:10 PM UTC-5, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> PyDev, Eric, Komodo, PyCharm, WingIDE, SPE, Ninja-IDE,
> Geany, IEP, Spyder, Boa Constructor, PyScripter, NetBeans,
> Emacs, KDevelop, BlackAdder, ...

And tell me Steven, how many of those "quality" IDEs that
you listed actually *SHIP* with Python?

The *WHOLE* reason for GvR *CREATING* and then *SHIPPING*
IDLE, was to provide a simplistic native IDE for the noobs.
That was his gift to the noobs, HOWEVER, this community has
*SQUANDERED* that gift, and allowed it putrefy for over a
decade and a half!

A noob has not idea what an IDE *IS*, much less where to
find a decent IDE, or what IDEs are even compatible with
Python! IDLE was meant to provide a tool by which noobs can
use to start writing Python code "out of the box".

Do you remember the acronym of "CP4E"[1]? Sadly, most people
in this community seem to forgotten, *MAYBE* even the
dicktator himself!

[1]: https://www.python.org/doc/essays/cp4e/