OT: usenet reader software

memilanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 15:10:02 EDT 2014

Given the ongoing hub-bub about Google Groups and some recent long
threads where I *really* wanted to be able to mute/ignore certain
individuals/subjects... I started looking into other choices for Usenet
reader software again.  I use news.gmane.org as a mail2news gateway for
reading a lot of lists besides just this one, and gmane is about the
most convenient way to do so without being bombarded by emails every day.

I'm on Ubuntu (14.04 LTS, if it matters) and I've been using Thunderbird
for a loooong time... I've tinkered with slrn off and on over the years,
tried pan occasionally due to recommendations... but I keep ending up
back @ Thunderbird.  About the only thing it doesn't do that I really
want is scoring/kill-files.  Slrn has those, and I do use vim on
occasion so that worked well enough... but when people *do* post links
or html it didn't handle that stuff gracefully like Thunderbird.  Pan...
locks up and crashes often enough to be annoying, and I can't get it to
display 'Threads with Unread' (i.e. new unread posts *with* their
associated threads for context) - just 'Unread' or 'everything'.  Never
messed with gnus... emacs was never really my thing.

Guess where I'm going with this is... is there anything out there worth
trying - on Linux - that I'm missing?