Python 3 is killing Python

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Fri Jul 18 11:46:31 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-18 04:37, Rick Johnson wrote:
> On Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:15:15 PM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> For myself, though, I completely do not use the editor half of [IDLE]; but
>> it's spectacularly useful (with limitations) as my primary interactive
>> interpreter.
>
> Yes Chris, i also think that the IDLE shell is "spectacular"
> when i'm using it, especially when i press
> "CONTROL+LEFT_ARROW" and the insertion cursor lands *BEHIND*
> the start of the interactive command marker " >>>", an
> area where key presses are not allowed, so *NOW* I must press
> "CONTROL+RIGHT_ARROW" three times to get to my destination!
>
> I'm also just "gushing with exuberance" when i open a new
> block and i get *EIGHT SPACE INDENTION*!
>
> And I get a raging semi each time IDLE hangs between run
> sessions when i'm editing Tkinter code, yes Chris,  I GET A
> BIG FAT ERECTION! Sometimes, when it does not go away
> after four hours, i have to visit the local emergency room
> and take some pills.
>
>   THAT'S HOW MUCH I JUST *LOVE* THIS CRAPPY SOFTWARE CHRIS!
>
>   I'M SO GLAD WE CAN SHARE THESE "WONDERFUL" EXPERIENCES TOGETHER!
>
>   MAYBE NEXT WE CAN RE-INACT THE LAST SCENE OF ROMEO AND JULIETTE?
>
>> [...] The only problem I have with it is that blatting
>> ridiculous amounts of text to the console can take a very
>> long time, esp on Windows. If I accidentally display a
>> large object when I thought I was displaying a small one,
>> it'll hang for quite a while, churning through something,
>> and it's not easy to see why or to halt it. But I suspect
>> that's more of a Windows and/or Tk issue than an Idle one.
>
> The *PROBLEM* is that user has no method of "undo-ing" an
> accidental display of huge amounts of data , forcing the
> user to close and then re-open the entire software -- can
> you understand now *WHY* i complain about this software?
>
> This is *EMBARRASSING*, and you should *ALL* be ashamed
> that, not only does Python include such an amateurish piece
> of crap software, but it has been there for years!
>
>      UNCHANGED FOR YEARS!!!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been suffering all these years. If only
there were a way to fix it.

Here's a suggestion for the Python community: how about opening up the
source code and letting people contribute fixes? We could call this
"open source".

We could even open the source for CPython itself! Could that work?

What do you think?