Multiple python versions, one dev environment???

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Jul 17 19:44:21 EDT 2014

In article <mailman.11957.1405626121.18130.python-list at python.org>,
 Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:

> On 7/17/14 11:32 AM, Joep van Delft wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > The condensed version of the question would probably be: How does one
> > deal with multiple interpreters and one package where you want to try
> > some changes?

> Virtualenv is definitely the right way to isolate different Python
> environments from each other.  Each one has its own PYTHONPATH, so each
> project of yours can have different packages installed.

Absolutely.  Don't even consider any other alternative.  Just do it.

Our deployment process builds a new virtualenv for every release.  Then
you don't even have to think about what got added and what got deleted.
We have a requirements file which we feed to pip and it creates exactly
what we need for that release.  We use wheel to speed things up, that's
just an optimization.