Python 3 is killing Python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jul 17 17:30:12 EDT 2014

On 7/17/2014 3:22 PM, Emile van Sebille wrote:

> I imagine those that would be in a position to improve idle don't see
> the point of it.  IMO, idle was never intended as a production
> development editor but more as an extensive example of gui programming
> with python.  Yes, you _can_ use it to edit, and there are nice python
> hooks, but I doubt that anyone with the skills to enhance idle actually
> uses idle.

That is something of a problem as people 'graduate' to multi-language
environments. However, while I have programmed in about 20 languages
during my lifetime, I have now 'contracted' to using only Python (except
for the occasional .bat file). So I use Idle to work on both my own
stuff and on fixing Idle.  When I notice an issue while working on an
issue, I file a new issue.

--
Terry Jan Reedy