I need an idea for practise!

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 12:34:09 EDT 2014

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:59:11 AM UTC-5, Nicholas Cannon wrote:
> Ok I would say I am almost a intermediate python
> programer. I have made 2 programs(with GUI). And basically
> they are quite boring(a text editor and calculator). I
> love programming but i am lost of ideas i actually suck at
> finding good creative ideas. Now i am not looking to use
> these ideas make them and then try get money for it. I am
> only a kid and would love some like real world project
> ideas to learn more about python. Yeah so if any one would
> like to give me some ideas to train my self on that would
> be so cool!

Hmm, unfortunately, if you do not already posses strong
imaginative and creative skills, you "may" never become
proficient at writing code, although your post does indicate
a "deep desire" to write code, so maybe there is yet hope!

First of all, you failed to explain the *extent* of the two
GUI applications you wrote, and as such, i do not know where
to start with my suggestions, so i will be forced to assume
that both of these apps are very "simplistic".

If the text editor is simply an app that allows: opening raw
text files, editing them, and then saving the changes, you
have a *whole* universe of functionality you could add to
that.

  How about writing a colorizer for source code, and why
  stop with *only* a Python colorizer? You can learn about
  regexs by doing this, AND about other languages also.

  How about source code analyzers or debuggers, or smart
  indent/dedent features and such...

  How about any number of text editing tools that an average
  user would want: like wrapping tools, searching and
  replacing tools, etc...

  Heck, how about extending a raw text editor to handle
  rich text!

Look, i know software already exists for all these
functionalities, however, in order to learn you must re-
invent the wheel, because you must know what is going on
"under the hood" if you expect to become proficient at
anything.

When someone wants to learn, say, the piano, they do not
just sit down and start hammering out Rachmaninoffs "prelude in
g minor" with the "key-chord-Staccatissimo-precision" of a
classically trained concert pianist, NO, they start out with
simple little pieces, and gradually work up towards more
difficult pieces, building a wealth of knowledge along the
way.

If your intention is to skip over the "little pieces" and go
strait to the "masterpieces", then you are doomed to failure
and might as well go watch a football game or join one of
the political parties, this is where the feeble minded
people aggregate to perpetuate their lack of intelligence!

The *true* student of any discipline will *relish* each and
every opportunity (no matter how miniscule) to learn
something new, because, it is the vast database of "little
ideas" which the masters *PILLAGE*, and then forge together
within the "roid-raging" fires of *PASSION*, the greatest
*MASTERPIECES* of human ingenuity that this decrepit lot of
human *FILTH* hardly deserves!