Python 3 is killing Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 07:12:25 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 8:12 PM, Fabien <fabien.maussion at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17.07.2014 06:47, Rick Johnson wrote:> Even though i will freely admit
> that Python is the easiest
>> language to learn (IMHO)
>
> For non-informatic students (i.e the vast majority of science/engineering
> students) I don't think that's true. Less general languages like Matlab
> appear much easier to me: unified doc, unified IDE, unified debugger, you
> can spend years without being confronted to what an "object" is, etc.

That's always going to be true. If you have mathematical experience,
you'll be much more comfortable with a math-specific setup than with a
general programming environment. But for general programming, the IDE
isn't that much help, and the math-specific language is going to get
in the way. This is why there are so many different environments to
choose from; if you want something that makes it really easy to put a
Windows GUI program together, you probably grab one of the Microsoft
tools, but if you want something that lets you run your program on any
platform and still have a usable GUI, you want something
cross-platform (tkinter, GTK, wx, Qt). This is not a problem with
Python; it's simply how the world works.

ChrisA