Python 3 is killing Python

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 03:17:06 EDT 2014

On 17/07/2014 04:14, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 18:16:16 -0700, Rick Johnson wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:00:16 PM UTC-5, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>>> I'm not aware of any mass exodus from core Python 3 to the fork that
>>> has consistently proposed to give the world Python 2.8.  Do you know
>>> something that I don't?
>>
>> Well, currently at least, we don't even *need* a Python 2.8, not for the
>> next couple of years anyway.
>
> There will never be a Python 2.8. When push comes to shove, the people
> bitching about Python 3 will not do the work necessary to fork Python 2.7
> and make a version 2.8.

Actually I like the logic behind 2.8.

"We've only had eight years to port our code to Python 3.  That's not
been long enough.  So to work around the situation we'll throw all of
our miniscule resources into forking Python to solve all of the problems
that Python has created for us".

Where is Walter Mitty when you need him?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---