Python 3 is killing Python

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 01:15:23 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:18:56 PM UTC-5, Tim Roberts wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> >For what little it is worth, if any one country won World War Two, it was
> >the USSR.
> I don't think that's quite accurate.  It is certainly true
> that the USSR suffered vastly more casualties than any
> participant in the war, essentially losing one entire
> generation of young men.  It is also true that the USSR
> faced the Germans head-on for longer than any other
> combatant. But it is is not at all clear that the USSR
> could have defeated Germany on its own.  The enormous
> industrial capacity of the United States was an extremely
> significant factor that helped turn the tide in what
> otherwise would have been an ugly war of attrition, much
> like WWI.

I've been wresting with my decision to "correct Steven"
every since he posted this bombastic statement of his,
because, the *real* history of WW2 tells quite a different
story than our friend Steven would like us to believe.

Heck, after suffering terrible casualties, even the "godless
tyrant" Stalin was so scared of losing the war, that he
released the priests and ministers from the gulags and
allowed the shrines to circulate around Moscow again. Ha, the
only time a godless man seeks god is on his death bed, and
Stalin was scared to death!

And then Stevens comments about how "tough" the Russian army
was because they "steamrolled" Germany and most of Europe --
obviously he has no capacity to distinguish between
"honorable warfare" and complete "barbarism".

*ANY* army can rape/kill women and children and raise peasant
villages to the ground! Look, i understand the Russians
earned some "payback", but not *all* forms of warfare can be
justified *even* after the horrendous losses they suffered!

    The enemy was the third-Reich, not innocent German/Polish civilians!

In fact, the atrocities committed by the Russians were only
eclipsed by the SS.