Python 3 is killing Python

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 21:16:16 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:00:16 PM UTC-5, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> I'm not aware of any mass exodus from core Python 3 to the
> fork that has consistently proposed to give the world
> Python 2.8.  Do you know something that I don't?

Well, currently at least, we don't even *need* a Python 2.8,
not for the next couple of years anyway.

But i think that when the time arrives, the "someone", or
"some entity" will inevitably decide that, whilst Python2.x
was the best high level language available to date, it has
many flaws that cannot be worked around "cleanly", so
instead of continuing on with Python "as-is", we should take
all the good ideas of Python, plus all the good ideas of
Ruby, plus few good ideas in Perl, Javascript, etc... and
create a *whole* new language that will supersede them all.

    BECAUSE REMEMBER, EVOLUTION IS A GOOD THING!

This is what i wished the Python dev *would* have devoted
their energies to, not the abortion of "Python3" we have
today. Look, i don't mean to dismiss all the difficult work
invoked in creating Python3, but i just cannot support
something that is a lackluster improvement at best. If we're
going to break Python, let's do it "correctly".

You see, people just hate updating code for what is
basically the same language. HOWEVER, if you give them a
*new* language, that is an "intelligent evolution" of the
old language, then they will be *EXCITED* to write code
again.

> Further the number of people assisting on the bug tracker
> at the moment appears to me to be going up, not down.  It
> therefore strikes me that Python is extremely tenable,
> thus indicating that people are not falling for the FUD
> about Python 2 versus Python 3.

Again, your "metrics", are tainted. I believe the spike in
bug reports has less to do with:

    "New community members jumping in to help"

And more to do with:

    "Damn, this Python3 is buggy and i need to tell someone
    so i can get my customers off my back and this egg off
    my face, lest my feet move faster than Fred Flintstone!"