Python 3 is killing Python

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 13:50:24 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Javier <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:
> I think there has been a severe miscalculation, and the change in the
> name of the interpreter python3 to python
> http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/ is a good example of the
> disconnection between GvR and the real world.

Er, that PEP currently recommends that python be a symlink to python2.
It states that at some point in the future, the recommendation will
change to have python symlink to python3.

> Arch Linux was the only distro to fall in the trap

You've got the order of events backward.  That PEP was created
*because* Arch decided to link python to python3.  Neither GvR nor
anybody else who work on Python have any control over that.