Python 3 is killing Python

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 16:47:22 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 15/07/2014 18:38, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>>
>> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Fine. Tell me how you would go about adding true Unicode support to
>>> Python 2.7, while still having it able to import an unchanged program.
>>> Trick question - it's fundamentally impossible, because an unchanged
>>> program will not distinguish between bytes and text, but true Unicode
>>> support requires that they be distinguished.
>>

>> Python 2 has always had unicode strings and [byte] strings. They were
>> always clearly distinguished. You really didn't have to change anything
>> for "true Unicode support".
>>

> That is the funniest tongue in cheek comment I've read in the 10+ years
> I''ve been hanging around here.  It was tongue in cheek, wasn't it?

What isn't "true" about Python 2.x's unicode support? The only feature
I ever missed was case folding. (Not that 3.x does much better at that... :)

The stdlib had poor unicode support, if that's what you mean. That
could've been fixed without introducing backwards-incompatible
changes, though.

-- Devin