Python 3 is killing Python

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 14:53:31 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:31:31 AM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> [...] That said, though, I would advise you to give 2to3 a
>> shot. You never know, it might do exactly what you need
>> right out-of-the-box and give you a 3.x-compatible
>> codebase in one hit.
>
> Ha!
>
> Are you so foolish as to believe that if code runs cleanly
> *immediately* after translating via "2to3", that the code is
> now completely free from translation bugs?
>
> You act as if 2to3 is some "magical" code that can root out
> every bug no matter how subtle. No, for those of us who care
> about our reputation, we are not about to release code that
> could blow chunks and leave egg all over our face, or worse,
> cause us to loose a contract!

This is what tests are for: so you know whether your code is working or not.

1) Run 2to3.
2) Run your test suite.
3) If there's a UI, exercise it manually.

At that point you should know how many things you need to fix. If that
number is 0, then you're basically ready to release (depending on your
test coverage and your release cycle and your overall level of comfort
with releasing the result).