Python 3 is killing Python

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 03:31:44 EDT 2014

On 15/07/2014 04:58, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 06/03/2014 12:12 AM, wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:
>> I was myself really suprised to fall on such a case and
>> after thinking no, such cases may logically happen.
>
> Putting in this comment not for JMF but for poor souls who find this
> thread on a search and are led astray by jmf's trolling.
>
> Either it was your code or an issue with the Windows console that caused
> the exception.  When you try to print out unicode strings, Python must
> convert them to the character encoding of the terminal in order to print
> them out.  On sane systems this is UTF-8.  On Windows it could be
> anything.  Do you want Python to fail silently or do you want to fail
> with a useful message, with the option of specifying the exact behavior
> you want (replace unrepresentable characters with spaces, question
> marks, etc)?

Sorry if I'm repeating myself but this is relevant
http://bugs.python.org/issue21927 specifically msg222761.

> Seems like jmf, though being a self-proclaimed unicode expert,
> continually confusing unicode with encoding schemes.

He's been spouting his bile on this subject on this list for IIRC nearly
two years.  Still he gets away with it.  Is he sleeping with the right
people I ask myself?

>> It's not important. I'm no more writing Py apps, only
>> considering software through an unicode eye.
>
> Please just stop posting to this list.
>
> thanks.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence