Python 3 is killing Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 21:18:07 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, July 14, 2014 5:47:14 PM UTC-5, MRAB wrote:
>> Why it should "they" withdraw it (whatever that means)?
>> "They" are entitled to keep it public if they want to.
>
> I'm not suggesting they *must* withdraw Python, I'm only
> suggesting that IF they wish to *prevent* dissent or scrutiny,
> then the only remedy they can employ is to "withdraw" the
> language from public view.

Python 3 stands up just fine to scrutiny, and dissent is a normal part of life.

> I'm merely highlighting the difference between public and
> private property. Python is currently public property, and
> just as a public park is open to whoever wishes to visit, so
> too is the the Python language.

Python is not public property. Whatever gave you that idea?

> I've seen this "vulgar display of animosity" before,
> predominately in short, angry white women driving
> "Scandinavian armored personnel carriers" (aka: Volvo), with
> closely trimmed eyebrows, and beaming scowls of superiority
> down on the "little people" as she transports her "honor
> role student" to school at twenty miles below the speed
> limit!

Wow. There is just so much US-centrism in that paragraph... I don't
understand half of it half as well as I'd like, and I like less than
half of it half as well as it deserves.

ChrisA