initializing "parameters" class in Python only once?

Catherine M Moroney Catherine.M.Moroney at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 14 18:24:26 EDT 2014

Hello,

Pardon me for not using the proper Python language terms, but I hope
that people can still understand the question:

The problem:  I'm writing a large Python program and I have a bunch of
parameters (whose values are static) that I want to make available to
the rest of the code with minimum overhead and duplicate processing.

I think that the simplest way would be to create a file called
"Params.py" and then simply have statements like a = 1, b = 2, etc.
in there (no classes, no methods, just a bunch of declarations).  But,
some of these static parameters have to be calculated rather than simply
hard-coded.

I thought of creating a class called Params and having a bunch of
methods (decorated with @classmethod) that set/calculate the value of
all the parameters.  Easy enough, but then I have to create a Params
object in every source file that uses these parameters, and that seems
wasteful.

The actual scope of the problem is very small, so memory/cpu time is not
an issue.  I'm just looking for the most pythonic/elegant way of doing this.

What is the recommended way of passing a bunch of static (hard-coded and
calculated) parameters to various parts of the code?

Thank you for any advice,

Catherine