Python 3 is killing Python

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 18:12:25 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:15:45 PM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 5:58 AM, Larry Martell wrote:
> > No company that I work for is using python 3 - they just
> > have too much of an investment in a python 2 code base
> > to switch. I'm just saying.
> And that's not a problem. Every whinging blog author seems
> to forget [...] Or maybe the complaint is that there are
> fancy new features in Python 3.x that aren't in 2.7? Oh
> wait, that directly contradicts the whine. So if Python 3
> has added nothing, what's the rush to move onto it?

What's wrong with people wanting new features WITHOUT
suffering through the headaches of porting code? I think
your missing the point Chris.

You and i both know that most of the features could be added
without breaking Python, but the choice was made to break
Python anyway, and that would have been fine IF the powers
that be would have REALLY made Python better, but they
only "slightly" improved the language!

Look, along the course of ANY learning curve, a designer, or
an artist, or an engineer, is going to realize he made some
catastrophic mistakes -- okay, no problem, we are ALL but
human after all, even the "Anointed One" is not beyond
mistakes, HOWEVER, the choice to fracture a community over
"minor improvements" was a poor choice and i think some
"owning up" is in order!

Also, this "idea" of yours that people should just shut up
and do what the "regime" commands, is just utter nonsense.
Python is a public offering, and as such is equally subject
to both praise and ridicule.

    FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS A REAL BEECH!

If the "powers that be" cannot handle the heat, then they
should withdraw Python from the public and then they can
decree any ridiculous fascist rules they please, until then,
what's that old adage about "reaping" and "sewing"...?

QUESTION:
    "What's worse than fracturing a community?"

ANSWER:
    "Creating a leadership vacuum."

--And nature *abhors* a vacuum!

Besides, "opposing and competing forces" are a fundamental
part of evolution (psst: do you remember that little thing
called "evolution" Chris?) and so we must NEVER forget the
absolute necessity of dissent! Just think of what our world
would be like if every idea was NOT placed under the
microscope for scrutiny.

    I SHUTTER TO THINK!

Image, for a moment, a world WITHOUT the great USA! Yes, i
know you little commies love to curse the USA, and yes,
there are many dark sins committed within AND beyond her
borders, but try to tell me you bass-turds, what nation in
modern history has contributed more technological
achievements [1] or engendered a revolution of social
justice around the world, or, propagated the idea that all
men are created equal and endowed by their creator with
unalienable rights? What would have happened if the colonies
just threw their hands and and said:

    "WELL, GEORGE KNOWS BEST!"

> Whiners gonna whine.

And brown-nosing little shills gonna shill!

[1]: even IF many of them were "borrowed". HEY, TO THE VICTOR GO THE SPOILS!