Multiprocessing question

Paul LaFollette paul.lafollette at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 19:53:09 EDT 2014

Kind people,
I have thrown together a little C/UNIX program that forks a child process,
then proceeds to let the child and parent alternate.  Either can run until
it pauses itself and wakes the other.

I would like to know if there be a way to create the same behavior in
Python 3, preferably in a non-platform dependent fashion.  I would prefer
to use processes rather than threads, but could live with threads if I had
to.  I've studied the documentation for the multiprocessing and thread
modules, but I can't see an easy way to do what I want to do.  I need
minimal communication between processes beyond what i have described, so
creating queues or pipes seems like overkill.  Unlike what I have written
here, I will want to exec the child rather than write the whole thing in
the else clause.  Is there a reasonably simple way to do this?  A reference
to useful documentation would be appreciated.  Sample code even more so, of
course.
Thank you
Paul

-------------------------
Paul S. LaFollette, Jr
CIS Department
Temple University
+1 215 204 6822
paul.lafollette at temple.edu
http://knight.cis.temple.edu/~lafollet

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <errno.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  void handler(int);
  pid_t pid;

  signal(SIGCONT, handler);

  pid = fork();
  if (pid < 0) //failure
  {
    printf("Unable to fork\n");
    exit(1);
  }
  else if (pid > 0) // parent
  {
    while (1)
    {
      printf("Parent waiting for child to do something\n");
      pause();
      printf("Parent doing nifty stuff.\n");
      sleep(1);
      printf("Parent waking child\n");
      errno = 0;
      if (kill(pid, SIGCONT) < 0)
        perror("Parent failed to SIGCONT child.");
    }
  }
  else //pid == 0 so child
  {
    while (1)
    {
      printf ("                                    Child doing useful
work.\n");
      sleep(1);
      printf("                                     Child waking parent\n");
      if (kill(getppid(), SIGCONT) < 0)
        perror("Child failed to SIGCONT parent.");
      printf("                                     Child waiting for parent
to do something\n");
      pause();
    }
  }
}

void handler(int signum)
{
}
Output:
Parent waiting for child to do something
                                    Child doing useful work.
                                     Child waking parent
                                     Child waiting for parent to do
something