Proposal: === and !=== operators

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 12:54:44 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 2:35 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> You're not going to hear me arguing that the non-reflexivity of NANs and
> SQL NULL is a bad idea, although some very smart people have:
>
> http://bertrandmeyer.com/2010/02/06/reflexivity-and-other-pillars-of-civilization/
>
> Mathematical equality is reflexive. It is fundamental to the nature of
> numbers and equality that a number is always equal to itself. To the
> degree that floats are supposed to model real numbers, they should obey
> the same laws of real numbers. However, they already fail to obey them,
> so the failure of reflexivity is just one more problem that makes
> floating point such a hard problem. Compared to floating point
> arithmetic, calculus is easy.

And there are plenty of other laws of real numbers that floats violate
(or, let's be generous, "approximate to rather than following
perfectly"). For instance, adding two positive (non-zero) numbers
should result in a number which is greater than either, but thanks to
rounding, that's not always true. (Not to mention that "infinity"
isn't a number, but it is a floating-point value.) The problem is not
equality comparisons, the problem is the expectation that the rules of
reals apply to floats.

ChrisA