What does (A ``quote'' is the character used to open the string, i.e. either ' or ".) mean?

Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 10:14:14 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM, fl <rxjwg98 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For me, it is difficult to understand the last line of the paragraph below in
> parenthesis (A ``quote'' is the character used to open the string,
> i.e. either ' or ".)
>
> It talks about triple-quoted strings. Where is ``quote'' from? It has two ` and '.
> What this different ` and ' do for here?
>
> The link is here:
> https://docs.python.org/2.0/ref/strings.html
>
> Thank you for helping me to learn Python.

Please don’t learn from this link.  It’s from 2001.  You should learn
from modern documentation: https://docs.python.org/ (if not running
3.4.x, change the version in the top)

You also should not read the language reference, it’s meant for people
who really care about what’s under the hood.  The official tutorial is
better for learning: https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html

--
Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick <http://chriswarrick.com/>
PGP: 5EAAEA16