NaN comparisons - Call For Anecdotes

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Jul 8 13:23:57 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Anders J. Munch <2014 at jmunch.dk> wrote:
> Most people don't need to deal with NaN's in Python at all,
> fortunately. They just don't appear in normal computation, because the
> interpreter raises an exception instead.

In addition to what others have written, I will add one thing. There
are certainly situations where raising an exception is bad. Consider
all the people in the scientific computing community doing fancy
linear algebra sorts of things, often with missing data. They
generally want NaN propagated and not have some long running
calculation crash in the middle.

Skip