open() and EOFError

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 12:50:31 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 2:40 AM, Tim Chase <python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
> On 2014-07-09 01:24, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> I can't think of any Windows-native programs that ask for EOF. Only
>> those which came from POSIX platforms do it. That said, though,
>> Windows doesn't tend to encourage interactive command-line programs
>> at all, so you may as well just follow the Unix convention.
>
> And within the last 10 minutes doing some work on a Win32 box, I
> noticed that both the "wmic" console (standard since at least XP I
> believe) and Python use EOF to quit (both provide alternate methods of
> quitting, but EOF is fast & easy).

Python doesn't count, as it's cross-platform; lots of programs work
the same way on all their platforms, and it doesn't say anything about
the expectations of native Windows apps. But wmic, that's a better
example. Counter-example: Command-line FTP on Windows doesn't react to
Ctrl-Z, which annoys me somewhat when I move from one to another. (Not
as much as it annoys me by not supporting passive mode, though. I
generally have to turn to a web browser to do basic FTP downloads
across a VM boundary, and for uploads, I either have to go fetch a
better FTP client (like FileZilla), or - as I've often done - whip up
a few lines of basic TCP socket file transfer, because I can do that
at an interactive interpreter faster than most people can move files
any other way.)

hrisA