PEP8 and 4 spaces

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 06:28:21 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 7:09 PM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> The unix tradition is to let the TTY interpret the TABs. Utilities such
> as "ed", "cat", "diff" or "gcc" don't interpret or process TABs in any
> way but simply output them together with the rest of the text.

Not quite; tools like diff that put a character at the beginning of
the line are likely to be tab-aware, and gcc is certainly going to
comprehend them (at least to the extent of treating them as
whitespace). And I think less takes notice of them, too, so it's only
the very simplest tools like cat that actually ignore them or treat
them as single characters (or even bytes).

ChrisA