open() and EOFError

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 7 19:10:45 EDT 2014

On 07/07/2014 23:09, Gregory Ewing wrote:
> Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>>     with open(path) as f:
>>
>> If the open() call is guarded against exceptions (as it usually should),
>> one must revert to the classic syntax:
>
> Hmmm, maybe we could do with a with-except statement:
>
>     with open(path) as f:
>     except IOError:
>        # Catches exceptions in the with-expression only
>
> Although that would be a bit confusing.

I wrap the with inside a try/except, the other file handling parts
within another try/except and use the finer grained exceptions from PEP
3151 to write (at least to my eye) cleaner looking code.  Somehow I
think we'll get agreement on the best way to do this when the cows come
home.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---