open() and EOFError

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Mon Jul 7 12:08:46 EDT 2014

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>:

> On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 22:19:20 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> It's possible for input() to raise IOError, if I'm not mistaken;
>> consider redirection, for instance.
>
> What indirection? Do you mean, if built-in input() has been monkey-
> patched? Well, sure, but in that case it could do anything. I'm only
> concerned with the builtins. Otherwise, I have no idea what you mean
> by that.

input() quite naturally can raise an IOError. For example:

    import os, socket
    s = socket.socket(socket.AF_UNIX)
    s.bind("xyz")
    os.dup2(s.fileno(), 0); print(input())

results in an IOError (EINVAL, to be exact).

strace reveals that input() simply delegates to:

  read(0, 0xb73aa000, 4096)               = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)

Marko