How do you use `help` when write your code

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Jul 7 07:22:15 EDT 2014

In article <mailman.11570.1404702375.18130.python-list at python.org>,
 Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's about it, yeah. I tend to find both strace and tcpdump rather
> too spammy for most usage, so any time I reach for those tools, it's
> usually with some tight filtering - and even that's not always
> helpful.

Usually, when I fire up strace, it's because I'm looking for something
specific.  A common use case is, "I just edited this config file, but it
doesn't seem to be having any effect".  I'll do something like "strace
-e file" and grep out all the open() calls.  From there, it's trivial to
verify that it is indeed reading my config file (or not).  Or that
there's other config files (/usr/share/whatever) that it's reading that
I didn't even know existed, which might be overriding my own.  Likewise
for which libraries it's linking against, which executables it's
running, etc.