python33, windows, UnicodeEncodeError: 'charmap' codec can't encode characters in position, to print out the file contents to stdout,

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 02:58:05 EDT 2014

Le dimanche 6 juillet 2014 21:37:36 UTC+2, Rick Johnson a écrit :
> On Sunday, July 6, 2014 1:14:38 PM UTC-5, wxjm... at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Le dimanche 6 juillet 2014 18:53:34 UTC+2, Rick Johnson a écrit :
>
> > [...]
>

> > > Seems like she'd better do the decoding before printing
>
> > No
>

> > > or am i wrong again?
>
> > Yes

> > '<unicode>'

> > abc需

> > 'cp437'

> > Traceback (most recent call last):
>
> >   File "<eta last command>", line 1, in <module>   File "D:\jm\jmpy\eta\eta40beta2\etastdio.py", line 158, in write
>
> >     s = s.encode(self.pencoding).decode('cp1252')
>
> >   File "C:\Python32\lib\encodings\cp437.py", line 12, in encode
>
> >     return codecs.charmap_encode(input,errors,encoding_map)
>
> > UnicodeEncodeError: 'charmap' codec can't encode characters in position 4-5:
>
> > character maps to <undefined> >>> print(s.encode(sys.stdout.encoding, 'replace'))
>
> > 'abcé??'

> > 'cp850'

> > Traceback (most recent call last):
>
> >   File "<eta last command>", line 1, in <module>   File "D:\jm\jmpy\eta\eta40beta2\etastdio.py", line 158, in write
>
> >     s = s.encode(self.pencoding).decode('cp1252')
>
> >   File "C:\Python32\lib\encodings\cp850.py", line 12, in encode
>
> >     return codecs.charmap_encode(input,errors,encoding_map)
>
> > UnicodeEncodeError: 'charmap' codec can't encode characters in position 4-5:
>
> > character maps to <undefined> >>> print(s.encode(sys.stdout.encoding, 'replace'))
>
> > 'abcé??'

> >   File "<eta last command>", line 1
>
> >     sys.stdout.encoding = 'cp1252')
>
> >                                   ^
>
> > SyntaxError: invalid syntax

> > abc需

> > abcŽÏÛ

> > 'abc需'

> > 'abc需'

> > 'abc需'

> > 'abc需'
>
> > jmf
>

> Oh my, all that code just so you can handle glyphs with
>
> squiggly little accent marks? Are you so afraid you'll
>
> forget how to pronounce the words without them? I wonder how
>
> those simpleton Americans are able to pronounce words without
>
> a tutorial? Boggles the mind really, BOGGLES THE MIND!
>

> For the remainder of your bloated Unicode char set that
>
> defines symbols, and cute little miniature fractions, and
>
> snowmen, and all sorts of ridiculous scrawl... what a waste
>
> of time!
>

> You know, instead of bending over backwards to "include"
>
> every selfish char man in his complete and utter stupidity
>
> can muster, when are we going to realize that keyboards can
>
> only contain a very *finite* number of keys before they
>
> become unusable. If you want to draw shapes and scrawl to a
>
> screen, USE THE CORRECT DAMN TOOL!
>

> In this day and age of "globalism", when are we going to
>
> unite under a single form of written communication. And if
>
> not for the sake of programmers, i can think of an even more

> [...]

--------

I forgot to mention, the example I gave came from
one of my interactive Python interpreter (a gui
app).

You have certainly noticed, it has the faculty
to modify on the fly the coding of the "device" that
will host a unicode. It mimics, in fact, any device
which may receive a unicode (terminal, file, db,
gui text widget, ...) and that a unicode has
to be encoded.

The characters I'm using are just characters very
representative of unicode and I deliberatly choose
them with care.
Glyphs have here nothing to do. But, if you wish
examples with others chars/fonts like
junicode (medieval scripts), stix (math symbols),
polytonic Greek or why not Urdu script (nastaliq,
naskh [*]), ...

https://medium.com/@eteraz/the-death-of-the-urdu-script-9ce935435d90

[*] not yet tested.

jmf