PEP8 and 4 spaces

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 15:25:17 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Tobiah <tshepard at rcsreg.com> wrote:
> Coworker takes PEP8 as gospel and uses 4 spaces
> to indent.  I prefer tabs.

I recently converted from tabs to spaces.  I probably still have some
code that uses tabs, but most of my personal stuff has been converted.

I like tabs.  Tabs work better for me than spaces, because I know how
to use them.  Also, some "make" tools insist on tabs.

Also, where many people like 4 spaces or 8 spaces, I prefer tabs
expanded to 3 columns.

But I finally acknowledged that some very smart people don't
understand tabs, or don't want to learn how to use them.  Also, I
figured out how to get python files to use spaces and Makefile's to
use tabs, using some slight vim configuration.

So I'm using 4 spaces now.

It's nice not having to ignore the relevant pep8 and pylint warnings
anymore.  And I don't miss tabs nearly as much as I thought I would.
In fact, I'm not sure I miss them at all.