Why is it different from the example on the tutorial?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 10:25:13 EDT 2014

On 06/07/2014 14:38, rxjwg98 at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, July 6, 2014 8:54:42 AM UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:
>> On 2014-07-06 05:13, rxjwg98 at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> What I get on Python console:
>>

>>> $ python
>>
>>> Python 2.7.5 (default, Oct  2 2013, 22:34:09)
>>
>>> [GCC 4.8.1] on cygwin
>>
>>> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
>>
>>> information.

>>>    File "<stdin>", line 1
>>
>>>      p = re.compile('ab*')
>>
>>>      ^
>>
>>> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>

>> Are you sure that you copied/pasted that directly from the console
>>
>> instead of transcribing it with some mistake?
>>

>> I just did the same thing at the console and it worked perfectly
>>
>> fine
>>

>> $ python
>>
>> Python 2.7.3 (default, Mar 13 2014, 11:03:55)
>>
>> [GCC 4.7.2] on linux2

>> -tkc
> Thanks. It did be caused by unclear copy&paste. I shall be careful in future.
>
> When I enter:
> 100
>
> When I get match result:

> <_sre.SRE_Match object at 0x6ffffeda5e0>

> 'abcd'
>
> It looks like 'result' is different from a simple 'counter' variable. I do not
> yet find the definition of 'result' object. What do you call 'result' object?
> Where can I find it (what topic would be in a tutorial)?
>
> Thanks,

 >>> help(result)
Help on SRE_Match object:

class SRE_Match(builtins.object)
  |  The result of re.match() and re.search().
etc

https://docs.python.org/3/library/re.html#module-re
https://docs.python.org/3/library/re.html#match-objects
https://docs.python.org/3/library/re.html#re.match
https://docs.python.org/3/library/re.html#re.search
https://docs.python.org/3/library/re.html#regular-expression-examples

A slight aside, would you please use the mailing list
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list or read and action
this https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython to prevent us
seeing double line spacing and single line paragraphs, thanks.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---