Your message to sqlite-users awaits moderator approval

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 02:35:50 EDT 2014

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Steve Hayes <hayesstw at telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jul 2014 01:00:22 -0400, sqlite-users-bounces at sqlite.org wrote:
>
>>Your mail to 'sqlite-users' with the subject
>>
>>    hi
>>
>>Is being held until the list moderator can review it for approval.
>>
>>The reason it is being held:
>>
>>    Post by non-member to a members-only list
>
> So has someone tried to gate the comp.lang.python newsgroup to an Sqlite
> mailing list without the list owner's permission?

More likely someone just posted a piece of spam with a forged From
address. If some piece of malware got access to somebody's address
book and started sending spam "from" one address to another address,
picked at random, it's entirely possible that it'd pick two list
addresses. At that point, the target list will get an email from an
address it doesn't recognize, and what you see above happens -
non-members aren't allowed to post to most lists (without a mod's
approval; I run a list for a local society's committee, and it's
normal for people to send something to the committee who aren't
members of it, so those posts go to the moderation queue), and the
post gets bounced.

When it first came in, I clicked on the link to cancel the post, but
someone beat me to it. :)

ChrisA