PEP8 and 4 spaces

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 21:30:12 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Steven D'Aprano
>> Summing up: if you care about other human beings, use spaces. If you
>> don't care about other human beings, you may use tabs, but other human
>> beings surely will take how you treat them into account ;-).
>
> Ha ha, that's funny, I would have said the opposite: if you care about
> keeping tools that expect spaces happy, use spaces, if you care about
> allowing people to configure the look of your code, or poor unfortunates
> who aren't using a programmer's editor, use tabs.

Right. And hey. If you're a sufficiently competent programmer, you CAN
get away with not caring about other human beings: either because
you're so utterly valuable that people accept you despite your rough
edges... or because you just script away the differences :)

Now, if your *boss* doesn't understand about these things, it's
possible to lose your job over stupid stuff like style guides.
Although to be fair, I'd been planning to quit for a long time, and
the style guide was the last in a long line of problems, so when I
kicked back and said basically "No, your style guide is a bad idea",
it ended up with us parting ways. But that's a separate point.

ChrisA