general module auditing

Irmen de Jong irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 2 14:46:50 EDT 2014

On 2-7-2014 4:04, Rita wrote:
> yes, this helps. But I want to know who uses the module, serpent. So, when
> I upgrade it or remove it they won't be affected adversely.

(Please don't top-post, it makes the discussion harder to follow.)

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Irmen de Jong <irmen.NOSPAM at xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> On 1-7-2014 12:38, Rita wrote:
>>> i work in a group of developers (15 or so)  who are located globally. I
>>> would like to know what modules everyone is uses if I ever have to
>> upgrade
>>> my python. Is there mechanism which will let me see who is using what?
>>>
>>> ie,
>>>
>>> tom,matplotlib
>>> bob, pylab
>>> nancy, numpy
>>> nancy, matplotlib
>>>
>>> etc...
>>>

>> Well, if your group is all using Pip (and perhaps even virtualenv), you
>> could use pip
>> list. In my case:
>>
>> $ pip list

[...]

Why would the fact that you upgrade or remove a package, affect another developer in
your group? Are you all using the same machine to develop on, with one Python installation?

I think you'll have to tell us some more details about the way you work together before
we can give a meaningful answer to your question.

Irmen